I went to the mall, and a little girl called me a terrorist.
My name is Ela. I am seventeen years old. I am not Muslim, but my friend told me about her friend being discriminated against for wearing a hijab. So I decided to see the discrimination firsthand to get a better understanding of what Muslim women go through.
My friend and I pinned scarves around our heads, and then we went to the mall. Normally, vendors try to get us to buy things and ask us to sample a snack. Clerks usually ask us if we need help, tell us about sales, and smile at us. Not today. People, including vendors, clerks, and other shoppers, wouldn’t look at us. They didn’t talk to us. They acted like we didn’t exist. They didn’t want to be caught staring at us, so they didn’t look at all.
And then, in one store, a girl (who looked about four years old) asked her mom if my friend and I were terrorists. She wasn’t trying to be mean or anything. I don’t even think she could have grasped the idea of prejudice. However, her mother’s response is one I can never forgive or forget. The mother hushed her child, glared at me, and then took her daughter by the hand and led her out of the store.
All that because I put a scarf on my head. Just like that, a mother taught her little girl that being Muslim was evil. It didn’t matter that I was a nice person. All that mattered was that I looked different. That little girl may grow up and teach her children the same thing.
This experiment gave me a huge wakeup call. It lasted for only a few hours, so I can’t even begin to imagine how much prejudice Muslim girls go through every day. It reminded me of something that many people know but rarely remember: the women in hijabs are people, just like all those women out there who aren’t Muslim.
People of Tumblr, please help me spread this message. Treat Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Taoists, etc., exactly the way you want to be treated, regardless of what they’re wearing or not wearing, no exceptions. Reblog this. Tell your friends. I don’t know that the world will ever totally wipe out prejudice, but we can try, one blog at a time.
- dylanaguon reblogged this from alexsteeeeezy
- involuntaryorgasm reblogged this from nadiaaboulhosn
- meguchannn reblogged this from alexsteeeeezy
- meguchannn likes this
- steeltoelyric likes this
- unwhisper-d likes this
- totallytrishaa likes this
- nahnopeneveragain reblogged this from thatssomichi
- sugalips likes this
- alexsteeeeezy reblogged this from runrunforrest
- dezzymalik likes this
- will-squat-for-peanutbutter reblogged this from live--love--fitness
- hatewhatwelost reblogged this from nyagrlblue
- nyagrlblue reblogged this from jaharaintdoshit
- thegingervater reblogged this from thatssomichi
- runrunforrest likes this
- runrunforrest reblogged this from thatssomichi
- m-orpheu-s likes this
- thatssomichi reblogged this from l-i-b-r-e
- thatssomichi likes this
- sugarandviolence reblogged this from let-goletgod
- pregnomancy reblogged this from tallisfabulous
- overborednselfassured reblogged this from let-goletgod and added:
- let-goletgod reblogged this from stars-willfade
- stars-willfade reblogged this from l-i-b-r-e
- l-i-b-r-e reblogged this from jaharaintdoshit
- l-i-b-r-e likes this
- jaharaintdoshit reblogged this from asenath1 and added:
- stormqueen280 reblogged this from beansonmel and added:
- once-upon-a-spectre reblogged this from justan0therwallflower
- i-am-amidite likes this
- im-always-that-one-percent likes this
- im-always-that-one-percent reblogged this from justan0therwallflower
- rewindtryoutdyout reblogged this from justan0therwallflower and added:
- justan0therwallflower reblogged this from butterflysparkle
- imnotcrazyyoureboring reblogged this from immarriedtofiveboys
- zetra reblogged this from nostalgic-for-the-old-days
- zetra likes this
- i-m-just-beautiful-mee reblogged this from seifo
- infinityhappinessss reblogged this from youonlyliveonline
- krimimacke reblogged this from eurob0ssx
- semirimes reblogged this from eurob0ssx
- eurob0ssx reblogged this from nostalgic-for-the-old-days
- babyyyv reblogged this from myburningdesiree
- anoreksicna-roda reblogged this from nostalgic-for-the-old-days
- medeno-srce reblogged this from nostalgic-for-the-old-days
- run-bunneh-run likes this
- nostalgic-for-the-old-days reblogged this from beautiful-hunter
- beautiful-hunter reblogged this from saraisgayformarshall
- i-beg-to-dreamanddiffer likes this